Let's see... when I last posted ten days ago, I had just finished three hats for niecelettes and nephewito. While I have multiple projects in progress (ahem... hibernating...), I was in the mood for something new, and by new, I mean things I haven't done yet. So here's what I've recently cast-on:
Item Number One: My first ever pair of toe-up socks. I'm calling them Summer Fog Socks, and they're made using the Wendy's "Summer 2008 Socks" in "Lavender Topaz," making these also the first ever item not knit in a solid colour yarn, and is the finest yarn I've worked with yet, with the smallest needles. Size 0! The socks are biasing, but I won't know until I get farther along if that's going to be a problem. Other Ravelrians agree to the leans-to-the-right bias, but there was no clear consensus as to whether it will block out or not. But I'm contemplating switching the pattern for the other sock to use a k2tog where a ssk is used... just to see if it will bias the other way! (Then I'd have a right sock and a left sock.) Don't be deceived by the photo--it's only about 4.5 inches long. It's just hiding!
Item Number Two: Another pair of cuff-down socks. The pattern is Yuliya's "Rainy Day Socks." I began these on a rainy Monday, so these are called "Monday Socks." Red-Headed Sister and I listened to "Rainy Days and Mondays" on our way to school, so it just seemed so apropos. These are my first project knit using a bamboo blend. The colour is "Coral Lipstick" and it makes the socks just so cheery! (Kind of ironic, yes? But I love it!) They're also my first project with a provisional cast on and a picot-edge. I love how the cuff has turned out thus far.
Item Number Three: My first ever shawl, my first ever something knit flat on a circular needle (which is just so counter-intuitive to me...), and still needs a name. This pattern is Stephen West's "Colonnade Shawl" published in Knitty in Fall 2009. You would think that, after two and a half hours at Knitter's Anonymous last night, I would be further along, but I knit about 6 rows, noticed an error, tinked back to row 2, knit up to row 6, noticed a dropped stitch, and had to frog back to the start. So now I'm back on row 6. But the yarn is a beautifully soft nylon blend (Fantasy, Dark Horse Yarns).
In terms of non-knitting news, I presented my paper last weekend at SDSU. It went pretty well--my video and audio didn't work, which was disappointing, but I made it through. I got a lot of great comments from those in attendance. (They were very impressed that I've done this work as an undergrad!)
WAIL is two weeks away--similar presentation, way different audience. And I absolutely MUST have the video working for that one. Cross your fingers that it will work!
And then I graduate a month from today! It's going to be a very busy month... But, if the weather plays along, Red-Headed Sister and I are going to go feed the ducks tomorrow.